Your law firm vacation placement and training contract applications
The key things that matter
1. Academics and online tests
- Your academic record is crucial : it has to be good, and it has to be consistent.
- Performance in online verbal reasoning test also counts.
2. Extra curricular
- Your extra curricular achievements must show that you take on responsibility and challenges involving teamwork.
- Extra curricular activities that demonstrate curiosity, passion and persistence are highly desirable.
- Law firms prize pro bono and charity work.
3. Motivation and other factors
- You need to show that you are truly motivated to become a lawyer.
- A consistent trail of work experience/placements in the legal sector will help considerably.
- Employers also look for enthusiasm, creativity, curiosity and resilience.
4. Written style
- Your written style must be persuasive and accurate.
- Use plain language and short sentences.
- Write from the heart. Warmth and tone are important – you must come across as a likeable person.
- Give examples to back your claims. Refer to your CV where necessary.
- Paint a portrait of yourself as a person. If possible tell a story which is relevant to your application, and illustrates (for example) your motivation for wanting to be a commercial lawyer of for undertaking a particular extracurricular activity. Put the engaging stuff about yourself, your motivations and passions at the beginning of the application or covering letter.
- Ask yourself : does this tell the world who I am and what makes me tick ?
- Remember that you’re selling yourself. Don’t be overmodest or shy.
- Have a friend read what you’ve written and critique it.
- Check for typos. Any typos may mean automatic rejection. Read what you’ve written three times normally, and twice backwards (yes, really : you may find hidden typos that way).
Interview Advantage’s services include graduate, trainee, training contract and internship placement preparation and support, CV, LinkedIn profile and career guidance, career counselling and career choice coaching, interview training and coaching, assessment centre preparation, coaching and training, commercial awareness preparation, case study preparation and training, and presentation skills preparation, training and coaching. We also provide psychometric test, critical reasoning test, verbal reasoning test, numerical reasoning test preparation, guidance and coaching. We provide all these services in both Oxford and London. We specialise in bespoke preparation, training, support and coaching of top graduates for high calibre jobs in the law, banking, accountancy and financial services sectors.